Agricultural Crop Trials Officer
Position: Agricultural Crop Trials Officer
Location: Peterborough PE8 6HJ
Hours: Full Time
Salary: £22,000 - £30,000 depending upon qualifications and experience
PGRO is an agricultural charity of approximately 18 staff funded by growers of legume crops, commercial contracts and research grants.
As the UK's centre of excellence for peas and beans, our client has a long and highly valued track record of providing authoritative, up to date information and project work based on solid, reliable research.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in agricultural/horticultural trials and knowledge transfer, with a highly respected and independent research organisation offering career development opportunities.
Scientific qualifications are required, as is an aptitude for field work. Experience with farm machinery is preferred and a willingness to learn and to take responsibility is essential.
You will be based at the offices on the A1 near Stamford/Peterborough.
Are you the right person for the job?
- Minimum “A” level or Diploma standard, preferably in sciences
- Familiarity and competence with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Current clean UK driving licence is essential
- Aptitude for farm-based trials
- Enthusiasm and ability to work on a wide range of varied tasks, requiring different skill levels, both indoors and outdoors and the use of equipment ranging from that in the laboratory to farm-scale machinery
- Desirable but not essential are BASIC or FACTS qualifications, competent weed recognition and identification skills, PA1 and PA6 certification
What will your role look like?
- Practical field trials work including general field work, field trial measurement and establishment, fencing, pest protection, plot preparation and cultivation, seed handling, sowing and harvesting
- Plant pest and disease identification
- Weed identification
- Variety, agronomy and chemical evaluation to GEP standards
- Accurate recording of data and record keeping for all trials and projects activities
- Seed testing and general laboratory and glasshouse work as required
- Preparation for meetings, conferences, training courses, open days and other events
- To participate in, embrace and complete training as required to a high standard
- From time to time participate and assist in other projects and areas of work of the company as required by the management team
- To carry out work in a safe manner, with attention to detail at all times
- Report writing
- Taking on specific operational or technical functions as required
- To execute the day-to-day tasks relating to the role in consultation with the line manager and technical staff
What can you expect in return?
- 25 days holidays + bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- An excellent working environment
The vacancy is immediate
Apply with cv and introductory letter to firstname.lastname@example.org